You want it all and you want it now. Specially online where patience doesn´t suit into user´s habits.
Less than a second is enough to loose a user.
But this fact is slightly different if we talk about online video ads when comparing them to other formats of online ads. Users show a little bit more patience for videos. A fact to consider according to the bigger presence of online video day by day.
That is what S. Shunmuga Krishnan and Ramesh K. Sitaraman have found on their research “Understanding the Effectiveness of Video Ads: A Measurement Study” (click here to download) through 362 million videos and 257 million ads from 33 video providers in a 15 days period.
Some interesting facts we need to consider from this research are:
1. Mid-roll ads are more likely to be completely watched than pre-roll o post-roll video ads. Actually the rates were 97%, 74% and 45% respectively.
2. Time is an important factor as well in success for a video ad. 20 seconds video ads got a 60% of completion rate. The lowest if we compare with 15 seconds ads, which had 84% completion rate. Or 30 second ads with the highest completion rate at 90%.
3. The duration of main content is an important factor in the success. The longer the video the higher the completion rate. For longer videos the completion rate rises to 87%, but drops to 67% or shorter ones.
4. The relation between content and ads is also important for the success. Related contents are more likely to be watched than non related one.
5. It does not seem to be big differences between the day of the week to watch the complete video ad.
6. Returning visitors show more likely to watch video ads than new visitors.
7. Users are more patient finishing to watch a pre-roll ad than waiting for a video ad to load.
8. One third of users adandon the ads during the first quarter, and the other twho third abandon the ad later than the first quarter.